In Ireland, the innovative concept of converting shipping containers into residential living spaces has emerged as a blend of practicality and modern design. An architect has skillfully transformed these steel structures into a residence featuring spacious interiors with the industrial charm of visible containers. This unique approach to housing provides an alternative to traditional property in the market, catering to those seeking a distinctive home experience.
With property prices on the rise, particularly in the wake of the pandemic, these container homes stand as a testament to creativity in the face of housing challenges. Situated in the lush landscapes of Ireland, these houses offer a cost-effective solution for individuals and families who are priced out of the conventional real estate market. The versatility of shipping container homes has also captured the interest of entrepreneurs looking to capitalize on niche markets like Airbnb rentals, presenting a new angle on rural and urban accommodation across Europe and beyond, from Cork to Australia.
Table of Contents
Architect-Designed Container Home
An innovative residential design seamlessly integrates a traditional home with a large shipping container extension. Notably, the interior reveals container walls and original cargo doors amalgamated into the house’s structure—bold evidence of its shipping origins. The container’s interior space is vast, open, and styled distinctively in various rooms.
- Architectural Use: Bespoke conversion with architectural foresight
- Materials Display: Corten steel; prominently featuring container elements
- Space Layout: Open design; tailored to enhance living experiences
- Insulation: Polyurethane foam for sustainable climate control
- Design by: Ceardean Architects; a vanguard in container transformation
The GTL Container Homes offer add-on options for a custom residence, merging sustainability and swift construction timelines—typically five weeks—without compromising on design quality or the necessity of planning permission.
Inside a Unique Container Home
Upon entering the Dublin-based container home, visitors are greeted with an eye-catching duck blue wall, sleek metal stairs, and a distinctive container door feature, creating a loft-like industrial ambiance brightened by expansive windows.
The residence’s first bedroom is hued in soft pastels, featuring a dusty pink wall, a cozy double bed, and a private bathroom. The en-suite is well-equipped with a spacious shower, toilet, and a sizable mirror atop the vanity. Note the maritime container is cleverly concealed within these spaces.
Ascending to the attic reveals another large bedroom where rustic warmth emanates from the wooden beams and stone walls, a theme consistently reflected in a third bedroom as well.
Meanwhile, a fourth bedroom sports a retro vibe, set off by a vibrant orange wall and complemented by a small adjacent study area that boldly showcases another visible container door.
- Key Features:
- Kitchen: State-of-the-art, fully equipped kitchen located at ground level
- Living Area: Includes stacked container doors, subtly separating the lounge from the staircase
- Bedrooms: Three extra bedrooms, all designed with individual themes from rustic to retro
- Heating: Integrated heating system for a cosy living environment
- Ventilation: Adequate ventilation ensuring a fresh atmosphere
- Windows/Doors: High-quality fittings ensuring functionality and aesthetic appeal
At the heart of the house is the full-fledged kitchen boasting modern appliances capable of stirring up a simple or extravagant meal. Large windows invite ample daylight, enhancing both the culinary space and the cohesive feel throughout the home.
- Potential: Turnkey approach allows for immediate move-in with minimal hassle
- Budgeting: Efficient design choices help to adhere to a strict budget without compromising on luxury
- Sleeping Solutions: Including sofa beds for versatility and built-in wardrobes for storage efficiency
Outside, the fusion of wood cladding with the original container steel frames strikes a balance between rustic charm and contemporary design. The expansive garden is an oasis for those seeking a simpler life, complete with a barbecue and outdoor dining setting. Though absent a pool, the outdoor area caps off the overall allure of this unique space.
Characterizing the interior, from floors to ceilings, are practical details including robust plumbing, electrical systems and the strategic selection of quality heating installations that support long-term living comforts. With the option of arranging viewings through platforms like Instagram, this showhouse container shines as a beacon of innovative yet cost-effective housing, providing an inspiring blueprint for those looking to downsize without diminishing their quality of life.
Booking : Airbnb